On Sunday, April 1st, our lives were changed in an instant. One never believes it can happen to them, but it has, and we have emerged into foreign territory.

On a typical afternoon at home Joe was grilling with wood. Without explanation, a propane tank nearby caused a fireball which left Joe with 1st and 2nd degree burns on 80% of his body. It has been a painful week, but he is now in rehab at Mercy Rehabilitation Center, and progressing well. Although he has a long road ahead, we are thankful for the progress he has made.

On Saturday, April 7, he was able to take 10 steps on the parallel bars. We are taking one day at a time. My Mother has always said, “it takes a village” and we are very fortunate to have one. Through our faith, family, and friends we will overcome this.

So what ever it is you have done, sent a card, made a call, or even just kept us in your thoughts and prayers, I thank all of you, “our village,” from the bottom of my heart.

We could not go through this alone.

May God bless each one of you so that you never endure this type of pain and suffering.

Due to Joe’s open wounds, and to keep infection away, we are requesting no visitors at this time. Thank you, in advance, for your understanding.

With all our love and appreciation,

Sue Vollmer

P.S. Prayers go up—blessings come down!